Sunday, March 6, 2011

Climbing Monkeys and Grasshoppers

Saturday morning, Jakah figured out how to crawl out of his crib. Around 5 am, I heard him laughing in his room. I figured he could stay in his crib since I needed sleep (and it was saturday for goodness sake) A few minutes later hubby heard a thump. Thinking it was the dog, he also stayed in bed. Atleast that is until he heard the door opening. Our dog is smart, but not smart enough to open doors. He went out and found Jakah headed to the kitchen to get himself some milk.
Luckily he wasn't hurt getting out, but now the crib is down to the lowest setting. Which of course I cannot reach. I think I will need to build a catapult to put Jakah to bed now. Or just get him a helmet and call it good.

Since today is my day off, and I like to bake on my day off I decided to make a grasshopper fudge cake. And to make it with even more calories more delicious, I am going to add some of the Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies I was suckered talked into buying. (Damn those cute girl scouts!) Of course I had to buy the cookies since I myself used to be a girl scout. There were many weekends that we stood outside the grocery store selling cookies. Actually my best friend and I would talk my younger sister into doing it, since we were both too shy to talk to strangers.

Anyways onto the recipe! (which may or may not have been stolen and adapted from my awesomely free Betty Crocker calender)

Grasshopper Fudge Cake with Thin Mints

Ingredients:
1 box of white cake mix
1 1/4 cups of water
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of mint extract
3 egg whites
12 dropps green food coloring
2 - 16 oz jars of hot fudge topping
1 - 8z container of cool whip (thawed)
5 drops of yellow food coloring
A few (however many you want) Andes creme de menthe thins (for the top)
Thin Mint cookies (however many you want)


Directions
Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom of 13x9" pan with baking spray

Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mint extract, and the 3 egg whites. reserve 1 cup of batter. Stir in 3 drops (or however many you want) of food coloring into the reserved batter. Set aside and pour the rest of the batter into the cake pan.


Drop green batter by generous spoonfuls randomly onto the batter in the pan. Swirl batters together with a metal spatula or butter knife.














Bake for 28 - 33 minutes (mine took 30 mins) or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely for atleast an hour

Carefully spread hot fudge topping evenly over the cake. Sprinkle chopped up pieces of Thin Mints over the hot fudge.



















In a medium bowl, mix together the cool whip, 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract, 9 drops of green food coloring and 5 drops of yellow food coloring (or again however much you want!) until blended.


Spread cool whip mixture over fudge and cookie topping.




Garnish with Andes pieces

Eat and Enjoy!
(oh and keep it in the fridge until you have eaten the whole cake)

Hope you enjoy it!

P.S. In case you are wondering, I also cooked the boys lunch (gasp!) It was the super healthy and very difficult to make. (OK you caught me! It was top ramen and oyster crackers) Sometimes I seriously wonder how they would ever make it without me

2 comments:

  1. This is delicious! I decided I would share some wtih the Fam! Daphne LOVED it and Brian did too! I will just put my order in when I need a dessert! :) Tell Casey he doesn't know what he's missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad you guys liked it :) I will definitly make it for you, all you have to do is ask!

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna