Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Hippie finds a Pot of Gold

I am very Irish.... So Irish in fact that my maiden last name used to start with an O' (well a long time ago, the O' got dropped with my great great grandpa). So understandably St. Patrick's Day  is one of my all time favorite holidays. No, not because of the green beer (that came later) or the leprechauns, but because it was the only day of the year we ate Corned Beef and Cabbage. Corned beef and cabbage is the most delicious thing in the whole world. I would probably make it at home, except my husband doesn't eat it or like it. (probably because he's not Irish. Or because he is weird)

Anyways, I have been working on this idea all week. Pot of Gold Cupcakes! Brilliant! And so Easy :)


My cute helper!!!




Pot of Gold Cupcakes
Directions

Green Cupcake Liners
1 Box of yellow cake mix
Yellow Food Coloring

Make cake according to directions on the box. I added yellow food coloring to make mine look extra gold.


Pour cake mix into green cupcake liners. From here I added a surprise! I put a Hersey kiss in the middle of the cupcake and covered it up.


I baked my cupcakes for 19 minutes, and then allowed to completely cool.


Now onto a REALLY good frosting!!!

I found this under the Tasty Kitchen on The best frosting EVER!

I did change it up just a bit.

Best Frosting Ever
Ingredients
5 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of milk (I used 1 cup of vanilla flavored half and half)
1 teaspoon of vanilla (I left this out due to the half and half)
1 cup of softened butter
1 cup of granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)

Directions
In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. (if in a hurry, place saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or until mixture is cooled) It must be completely cooked before you use it in the next step. Stir in Vanilla.

While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don't want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven't beaten it long enough. Beat until it is all combined and looks like whipped cream.

***I used Darigold Vanilla Flavored Half and Half instead of milk. I also left out the vanilla***


I then seperated out enough frosting into 4 bowls. (leaving some white also) and colored it with food coloring until it was the right blue, green, red and orange (to look like a rainbow, but I left out yellow since the cupcake is yellow) that I was looking for.

I filled a piping bag with the different colored frosting (which by the way I bought myself another decorating kit, and this time it had a big star tip! its a Wilton 1M if you are looking for it Wilton 2104-6667 12 Piece Cupcake Decorating Set) And squeezed enough onto the cupcake. Each one is different colored due to the frosting

I attempted to make it look like at the end of the rainbow is a pot of gold. But as my husband so kindly told me, it looks like a hippie. So its a hippie cupcake



So Here is my Hippie Pot of Gold Cupcake. The frosting is to die for! My husband gave it a thumbs up :)

P.S. Its still homemade even if its from a box!
P.S.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna