Friday, April 8, 2011

Crispy Toasted Coconut Cookies

So I know I said I wasn't going to bake anymore but well.... I may have lied. Maybe lied is a harsh word... just ... OK well lied. I just missed it... and I was actually home ALL DAY today. I honestly can't remember the last time I was home all day, without any errands to run, or grocery shopping to do. Just nothing. (well actually I was home waiting for the delivery of my new elliptical)
So of course I spent much of my morning deep cleaning my house. And boy is (or was) it clean! Until Jakah woke up from his nap! And then I gave up and took him outside because it was FINALLY sunny! After 36 some odd days of rain there was finally sun today! Oh glorious sun! (too bad its supposed to rain again starting tomorrow)

Anyways... Onto the cookies! (which I have adapted this recipe to be an original!)

Crispy Toasted Coconut Cookies
Ingredients:
1 bag of sweetened shredded coconut
2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup salted butter (softened)
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

(You can also add 1 cup of chopped almonds, which is super yummy! But I didn't have any at home and since I wasn't running to the store I left it out)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (I did this part on regular bake, not convection bake)

Spread coconut on a baking sheet.


Bake for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice until the coconut becomes golden brown.
Watch carefully, because the coconut can darken quickly and burn. Set aside and cool.
Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper

Using the mixer, beat together butter and brown sugar until fluffy (usually about a minute)
Scrape edges and add eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until blended. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed
(should look like this!)

Add cooled coconut to mixture. (and if you wanted the almonds, you would add them here also)

Cut 2 pieces of wax paper, and roll a portion of the dough out between it. (about 1/4" thick)
I had just bought these adorable little cookies cutters that I really wanted to try out.


And while they are adorable.... it wasn't really working out the way I wanted them to. (I think because of the coconut, I wasn't getting very clean lines. And the dough was warm and tearing when I was picking them up) So I switched to bigger ones.

Lift cookies off wax paper and transfer to baking sheet.

(If you are having trouble lifting the dough like I did, place the dough in the fridge for a few minutes to harden)

Bake until the edges and bottom are lightly browned. About 12 - 15 minutes


These are also very good drizzled with chocolate on top (or you could dunk 1 side in chocolate also, which I would have done if I had any chocolate in the house)

P.S. It was beautiful out today and finally felt like spring!






2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I finally get the recipe! Daphne and I will make them today! Yum, Yum, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Brian likes them! And appreciates you making them for him!

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna