Monday, September 19, 2011

Apple Pie

Fall is in the air here. Although it is very sad, since we only had about a month of summer... sigh

Either way, I wanted to make an apple pie. I had a graham cracker crust sitting in the pantry that needed to be used up. I thought the two together would taste yummy and I was right! Although I did use way too many apples and had a dome pie. But it wasn't soggy (soggy pie is gross!) and one of the best pies I have ever made!

This recipe is a combination of a few I found, so basically created by me

Ingredients:
1 graham cracker pie crust

5 medium apples (I used granny smith)
        - peeled, cored, sliced and then cut into small pieces
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 cup white granulated sugar (more or less depending on your taste)
Dash of salt
2 tablespoons of butter
Lemon juice

Ingredients for crumble top crust:
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of firm butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of oats

Pre-heat oven to 425
Start off with peeling and coring the apples. I did it the easy way and just sliced them up into wedges. Them cut them into cube shapes. I put them in a bowl of lemon / ice water to keep them from browning while I finished cutting them all up.


Mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add apples and stir until fully coated.
Put into graham cracker crust.
Dot with butter


For the crumble crust-
Mix together all the ingredients until crumbly. (I just used my fingers)

Put on top of the pie.


Bake at 425 for 40 minutes (mine should have baked longer, but I think its because I had too many apples)

Top with whip cream and enjoy!



Please let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out!!

This is linked up to The Frugal Girls and Tatortots and Jello





 
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!

2 comments:

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna