Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole

For Thanksgiving this year I made the rolls like always, and I also contributed a Sweet Potato Casserole.

I was saving this for around Christmas time so that the recipe wouldn't get lost :) It would be a great addition to Christmas Dinner!

I told Casey he had to at least try it. He told me he wouldn't like it but ate some and IMMEDIATELY said "I hate to admit this, but this is really good." BAHAHAHAHA

The recipe came from my brother-in-laws mom. I only changed one thing. (oh and I doubled mine cause I accidently bought too many sweet potatos)

Sweet Potato Casserole
Preheat oven to 350
Filling:
2 lbs fresh Sweet Potatoes (not yams)
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/2 c butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 c milk *I used heavy cream because I had some leftover that needed to be used up.
1 tsp vanilla
Topping:
4 oz chopped pecans (1 cup)
2/3 c packed light brown sugar
1/2 c flour
1/3 c butter - melted
Peel and cube potatoes and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium simmer.  Simmer 25 - 30 minutes - test for tenderness--should be easily pierced with fork but don't overcook.  Drain, mash then use electric mixer for about one minute while adding the sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla.  Let set while making topping. 
Topping:  Combine pecans, sugar, flour - mix evenly.  Stir in melted butter until evenly moistened. 
In WELL BUTTERED 2 QT SHALLOW baking disk spread potato mixture.  Sprinkle topping over potatoes.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 - 45 min until knife inserted in center pulls clean. 
Note:  you can store the cooled cooked dish well covered in fridge for 1-2 days them bring to room temp and reheat covered for 30 min at 300.



Everyone loved this and I will definitly make it again!


This is linked up with The Frugal Girls

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I love sweet potatoes, and my extended family does too. My husband, however, does not. So, this would be perfect for a big family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you try it because it is SO good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am making this for Christmas Eve! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know if everyone likes it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this was my secret "grandmother's sweet potato casserole" How did you get it? I am from Alabama and for many years, I wowed everyone in Maine, (where I live now) every Thanksgiving or Christmas, or both, with this delicious treat. Lately, though, I have noticed a few similar recipes, but this one is the most like mine. I don't use butter in my potato mash, and I use 1/4 cup white sugar instead of brown sugar. It so heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so delicious! My brother-in-laws Mom gave it to me. She made it for a get together and I just HAD to have it. I'll have to try it without the butter and switching the sugars :)

      Delete
  6. What difference have you found with sweet potatoes vs yams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yams seem to be even sweeter, more orange color, and stringing... Never made it with yams though, Maybe I'll try that next

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna