Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookie Bars

I had a rare day off with nothing to do and was in the mood to bake. After searching the Internet and digging around in my pantry for supplies and came up with enough things to make Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookie Bars.

I found the recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod and modified it slightly to what I had on hand. Changes are noted in Blue for you

Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookie Bars



Ingredients:
2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
10 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped (I used 1/2 a bag left over from Halloween)
3 tablespoons heavy cream (I used 2 tablespoons of Vanilla Half and Half)
Sea salt, for sprinkling over caramel and bars

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking pan (which is an 11 X 7 pan-I used a glass Pyrex dish) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. (Mine was 2.75 quart)

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the melted butter and sugars together until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream. Microwave caramels on High until caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave.

5. Divide the cookie dough in half. Press half of the cookie dough into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Pour hot caramel over the cookie dough. Sprinkle caramel with sea salt. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over the caramel and spread dough with a spatula until the caramel is covered. Sprinkle the bars with additional sea salt.

6.Bake cookie bars for 30 minutes or until the top of the bars are light golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool bars on a wire rack to room temperature. Cut bars into squares and serve.





These turned out almost too sweet for me. But once I warmed it up and put a little vanilla ice cream it was DELICIOUS!!!!

This is linked up to 


It's a Keeper

fof

Photobucket






20 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks SO good. I would love if you would join my dessert linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime. The linky runs through Fridays each week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey - YUMMY POST!!! Chocolate & Caramel...yes please!!! I was following you...but I didn't show up in your followers list? No wonder I wasn't getting your post updates...I should now! YAY! Hope you're having a great week! Thanks for the great recipe share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This after the oatmeal butterscotch cookies I made last week? I'm never going to pass my glucose tolerance test ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness. Did you know I was hungry? Now, how is something healthy going to remotely satisfy me? That looks AMAZING. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dorothy for the invite! I linked up today :)
    Hi Mary! I wasn't getting your updates either :( I should be getting them now!!
    Peeper - Definitely do not eat this within 2 weeks of the glucose test! Mine is Monday so I have to be good at least all day Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully you try it and tell me how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing! I love the way you "modified it" by what you had on hand. Great Job. I found you on the Taste This Thursday Blog Hop and I am glad I did. I am now following you and would love a follow back.

    My Turn (for us)

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    Thanks, I enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my stars! Looks AMAZING. Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds terrific! Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to reading more of yoru posts. ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome! Thanks for visiting and leaving your lovely comment. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum yum! These look dangerous! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's funny you still had caramels left over from Halloween! This is my kind of dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so darn delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bahahaha! I was wondering who was going to catch me using leftover Halloween candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! This post is making me drool. I love the idea of sea salt, too! I need to try that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ate them all, But made brownies and chocolate chip cookies! Oye I am going to weigh a ton when I am done with this baby!

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna