Thursday, March 29, 2012

Traditional German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Walnut Frosting

 My husband had requested a German Chocolate Cake, which I hadn't made in forever. I used to make them all the time, but found them time consuming. Although after making it again I have no idea why I thought it was time consuming.... 

So anyways I had my traditional "go-to" recipe and then I found a new one that I wanted to try. So last Friday I decided to have a German Chocolate Cake-Off. I baked both versions and had my husband test them out. I asked if he could taste the homemade one (the other recipe is a Doctored up cake mix) He chose correctly and wanted the traditional on. The "loser" went to work with me the next day, where it was gone in seconds. 

Here is my traditional German Chocolate Cake recipe. It is out of my 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook (my favorite cookbook!) I can't find the exact recipe online either... Changes or tips are in blue

German Chocolate Cake
by Betty Crocker
Ingredients:

1/2 cup boiling water
1 bar (4 oz) sweet cooking chocolate
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of butter or margarine, softened
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour (or 2 1/2 cups cake flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Heave oven to 350. Grease 2 square pans (8x8x2 or 9x9x2), or 3 round pans (8 x 1 1/2 or 9 x 1 1/2). Spray bottom and sides of pans with cooking spray. I used one 9x13 pan

Pour boiling water over chocolate, stirring until chocolate is melted; cool. I found chopping the chocolate up first speeds up melting 

Mix sugar and butter in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Beat in chocolate and vanilla on low speed. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. 

Fold in egg whites

Divide batter between pans.

Bake 8-inch squares for 45-50 mins, 9-inch squares 40-45 minutes, 8-inch round 35-40 mins, 9-inch rounds 30-35 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 9x13 pan was about 38 minutes Cool cakes for 10 minutes before taking out of pans.


Coconut - Walnut Frosting
by Betty Crocker
(Its supposed to be coconut pecan but I like walnuts better, so use what you like!)

Ingredients
3 egg yolks Room temperature eggs work best
1 cup of evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever nut you choose)

Beat egg yolks and milk in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in sugar, margarine and vanilla. Cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick. I say stir constantly or else you could get scrambled egg frosting, which is gross. I've done it a few times Stir in coconut and walnuts. Beat until frosting is of spreading consistency.



Sorry about the pictures, still trying to learn my new camera I bought yesterday

I may have added a little too much coconut, because there was only a little left in the bag. But it still tastes delicious! You should try it!



This is linked up with:
                          Photobucket


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You should! I had forgotten how good it was until I ate it again :)

      Delete
  2. Chocolate cake yum, but coconut frosting puts it over the top. I have to make this. Thanks so much for joining in the bloglovin blog hop. I'm following via bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good :) And thanks for the follow! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never had German Chocolate cake from scratch! I'll try this one - only with pecans because walnuts are gross! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how yummy this cake is until I made it :) Make it!

      Delete
  4. I love traditional recipes and this cake looks just great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so good! And much easier than I remember it being!

      Delete
  5. I love that coconut frosting! I'll take a piece for breakfast, please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have had my piece of breakfast :)

      Delete
  6. Yum! That's my husband's favorite kind of cake! Stopping by from the BlogLovin' blog hop, now following you! Hope you have a great weekend! =)
    www.TheLatestFind.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Welcome! And your husband will LOVE this cake!

      Delete
  7. This is torture for an 8 month pregnant woman! Now it is all I can think about. Came by from Weekend Blog Hop and now a new follower.
    http://bassinetbabble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one more month of eating what you want then! :) Hope you get a chance to make it!

      Delete
  8. oh em gee.. that looks ABSOLUTELY fantastic... I'm gonna try making it with lactose free dairy... the coconut made it look oh so yummier... found u on the weekend bloghop... your blog title actually sent me here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Let me know how it turns out with lactose free dairy :)

      Delete
  9. Oh I love some German Chocolate cake. ;0 I just came over from the blog hop and I am your newest follower. ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Let me know if you make it and how it turns out :)

      Delete
  10. Yummy! I'm here from clairejustine's blog and I'm your newest follower. I would be so grateful if you could follow me back!

    www.loveparish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I love coconut, so it's hard for it to be too much for me!
    Your work sounds like mine. If you need something eaten, just take it in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I only work 3 months a year LOL Any other time and I have to pawn it off on other people :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the nice comment on my farm animal cake. I made it while my nephew was visiting and his birthday is in 2 weeks. I told him I'd make a cake for his birthday in 2 weeks. I said, "Anything you want"...thinking he'd chose some sort of cute theme. Nope, my brother has him trained. He wants a German Chocolate cake. Good timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great timing! :) Hope you like it!

      Delete
  13. I could really melt right now just by looking at that german chocolate cake! I love to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna