Tuesday, May 1, 2012

So Over High School Drama

Have you ever had a couple that were involved in your life but left? Sometimes its not by choice, they move away, drift apart, different stages of life (you're having kids, they just got married). Its sad, but life goes on. Sometimes its a conscience decision to no longer have those people in your life.. One that is weighed out for the pros / cons and made to makes things better for yourself.

We have a couple friend, we have known them for almost 7 years. For the past year or so, things seem to have gone down hill. My husband and I are both feeling the same way about it. We only get calls when they want something. If we do end up hanging out with them, it just feels awkward and uncomfortable. Like they talk about us behind our back a lot. And we just don't seem to have anything in common anymore.

So we are at this point where we don't know what to do. We'd like to just cut ties, free and clear. But we don't want to go into a discussion with them as to why. What do you say,"its not you guys its us". So we have decided to just be cordial. Just politely decline the few invitations to functions, be nice and talk when they call (again they only seem to call when they want something, or it benefits them) and just call it good.
I am no good at being the "Dumper"...... and it makes me sad to lose a friend. I just feel like we are at that point in our life where this is the best decision, for all of us. Because there is no point in being around people what make you feel awkward (and a little fake) while being around them.

I don't know if its the pregnancy hormones, or the fact that in 19 days I turn 30, but I am just tired of the high school type drama. Aren't we all adults around here? Why talk behind peoples backs and act like catty 15 year old girls.Why not just treat people how you want to be treated. Perhaps this is how they want to be treated?

Have you ever had to be the "dumper" in a friend relationship? If so, How did you handle it?

I found these "sayings"  on pinterest, and they just kinda say how I feel about the situation
and you know them quickly...............

been thinking this SO much lately!yeptrue

This is linked up with

12 comments:

  1. I agree with your decision. It's best to cut the ties. I am sure you have friends who love you for who you are and call you for other reasons instead of just when it is convenient for them.
    There couple as friends that we had for a few years. We did a lot with them because our children were the same ages. He husband began to flirt with me and crossed boundaries. My husband and I felt it was necessary to tell the wife and end the relationship. It was weird telling his wife, but I did. She wasn't happy about it and blamed me. My husband did not confront the husband because he said he would end up punching him in the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I can't believe she blamed you! It sounds like it was for the best though.

      Delete
  2. So sad when this happens, but your quotes from Pinterest really say it all. You do need to let go of people who aren't making you feel good, but all relationships change and evolve. "Dumping" the other couple may not be necessary - just let the relationship run its course, respect yourselves, don't do things that you don't feel comfortable doing, and the relationship will evolve accordingly. Perhaps they are going through some struggles of their own. Maybe you could tell them how you feel and ask them if they are doing ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you said to just let the relationship evolve into what it is. Who knows someday things will be different again

      Delete
  3. Love the quotes!

    I'd handle it in the same way as you- just declining invites until they eventually get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quotes really say what I feel better than I can

      Delete
  4. Great quotes...it is so hard finding compatible adults I swear! B and I have been talking about this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard, and I swear its worse than dating!

      Delete
  5. I really liked the first quote, and I think you handled it like I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, The quotes really seem to say how I feel about it better than I could

      Delete
  6. I think that is the best way to handle it. Who knows 20 years from now you may run into them again and if you do there will be no bitterness or anger - just remembering drifting apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, things may change and someday it could be different.

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna