Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Listicles - 10 Things I want my sons to learn

Happy Monday! Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's day! The boys spoiled me for sure! Jakah picked out 2 candles and a brothers picture frame and Casey bought me a new watch! They went out and got McDonald's for breakfast (No cooking for me!) and let me lay in the bedroom with only a t-shirt on with the air conditioning blasting and the fan going! (I'm so hot ugh!) Oh and they washed the car and cleaned the inside for me! And installed Jensen's carseat!!

Anyways Stasha has us making a list of whatever we want for Monday Listicles, or that's how I took it. And while I could get all sappy and say how my kids have changed my life, I'm not. I should write about how lucky they are to have me, but that's pretty much a given and doesn't need much explanation.

So instead I chose to list 10 thing I want my sons to learn
(and yes I know one isn't born yet, but I'll teach it to him one day!)

true


1. To be independent - Yes I will be around to help if needed, but I want You to try something yourself first. Go try to put your shoes on yourself first, if you don't get it, I'll help and you can try again later.

2. To cook and clean - Yes, You are going to learn to cook at least something! And you will pick up after yourselves and do chores. Not just the outside chores either! (their future wives will thank me!)
Um no!

3. To go hang out with Dad - Not that I really need to do anything to encourage this, but GO have boy time! There are so many things he can teach you that I can't! (Trust me, You don't want me teaching you how to fix a car!)

4. Don't rely on other people to do stuff for you - This goes along with being independent, but just go do what needs to be done yourself! And if you want something done right, do it yourself!

5. Work Hard - Don't take the lazy route. Work as hard as you can at whatever you are doing.
makes sense

6. Don't give up after the first try - I know things can get frustrating, but the more times you do it, the easier it gets. So stick with it. (unless is truly something you hate, like a sport, at least you tried Oh and you will finish the season!)

7. Be nice to girls - Especially when you are older. Treat your wife how you want to be treated! Help her out around the house. Its appreciated! (just watch your dad!)

8.Learn to fix stuff - Sure being awesome on the computer is great, but don't be that guy that has to call a professional for every little thing! Learn how to fix some stuff yourself, and leave the big jobs to the professionals!

9. Have fun and  be silly -Be able to laugh at yourself and don't take yourself too seriously.
true

10. Be responsible with money - Sure you earn it and its yours, but remember to save some. Don't buy everything on credit and be so far in debt that you can' get out. Buy what you can afford, and it you can't afford it, save up for it!

Obviously I want him to learn other things in life, like make good choices. But I feel like these are just a few pretty important life lessons that I want them to know. And I know they will grow up to be amazing men someday, but for now they are just my little boys! And by the way, I wouldn't change it for anything!
<3<3
This is linked up with

17 comments:

  1. I love #7! I stress so strongly to my husband that it is his job to teach our son to be a gentleman. some things never, or at least should never, go out of style.
    and vice versa, he should teach our daughters to only fall for gentleman! that would be swell! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, Audrey! These are all really important things. I love the quotes you included with your post, too. The one by Jim Henson especially resonates.
    Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Happy Mother's Day to you too!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous list! Such great lessons for them to learn. Such a wise mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #7, it's like my marriage advice to men: do the dishes. Seriously, it's a small thing that pays in huge rewards and appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Plus they can usually get paid back in other ways when they help out!

      Delete
  5. Oh how I love this. Such great reminders. I need to work on a few of these, big time! Your day sounds great. I was secretly hoping I would get my car washed and vacuumed. There is always Christmas, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it got cleaned and washed because the grumpy pregnant lady whined enough :) I'd feel bad if it wasn't the first time my husband has ever done it since buying the car 3 years ago!

      Delete
  6. awwww such a great list!!!! I love the one about letting them be themselves. We are currently working on this one with my bonus daughters because of life situations they strive so hard to be like everyone else because they think that's what's acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teenage / pre-teen girls seem to want to be like everyone else. they will grow out of that eventually!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for visiting my site.
    http://teresworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this list. Especially 4,5 and 6. (and of course 7) I think that is a big problem with today's kids. Working hard. And I lump mine in the mix of those who need to learn. If you can instill that in your children, you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its still early yet since he is only 2, but I hope so!

      Delete
  9. Audrey I am so proud of you and how much growing and changing you have done. I am so happy for you. I look up to in so many ways, thank you for being such a great role model! I hope I can be a wonderful mother just like you one day!!! Keep up the great work!!! :) love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna