Thursday, May 24, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Disaster

At our house we like plain old regular rice krispie treats. OK I make them a little extra gooey, but that's it. But my mom requested I make Peanut Butter Chocolate rice krispies for her. I thought easy peasy! I had her buy the ingredients I needed, marshmallows, chocolate chips, rice krispies, and peanut butter.

And I set out to make the PERFECT peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats.

First I melted the butter and peanut butter together


And then added in the marshmallows. I added a few extra to make them gooey.


I had the chocolate chips added to the cereal



and pour the gooey marshmallow / peanut butter mixture in. And proceeded to make a DISASTER! Ugh! The chocolate chips melted (duh! what was I thinking?) so I created a heavy, gooey mess. So much so that I didn't even want to take a picture and put it up. 

So I decided to start over, I again mixed the melted butter and peanut butter together. Added the marshmallows. I didn't add any extra this time. Added the mixture to the rice krispies and put into the pan. All good so far



Instead of chocolate chips, I cut up Hersey chocolate bars and melted them down. I only did this because I didn't have any chocolate chips and didn't want to go to the store. I had the bars to make S'mores, which now I have to go get bars!

I then poured the mixture on top of the krispie treats.... and it promptly soaked thru. Maybe because they were bar form? not sure....


I put it in the fridge thinking it would harden into a chocolate layer on top.... It sadly did not






But this is what it turned out to be. Totally not what I was attempting to make, and at this point I am throwing in the towel and giving up!

These treats were good, just not what I was attempting to make at all.

Here is the recipe if you are curious....

3 tbsp butter
1 bag (10 oz) large marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies
1 cup peanut butter
4 Hersey chocolate bars

Melt butter and peanut butter together. Add marshmallows and melt down. Add mixture to 6 cups of rice krispies and stir until incorporated. Press mixture into a 9x13 pan. Allow to cool.

Melt chocolate bars in pan on low heat. Pour mixture on top of bars.

I can't figure out for the life of me why it didn't work. I googled it, and found a lot of recipes used corn syrup but not marshmallows. Not really a rice krispie treat then is it?

If anyone has a better way to make these I would love to hear it!

This is linked up with
What's cooking, love?

Michelle’s Tasty Creations





21 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious! I might have to try and recreate the recipe. (Although it would be quite dangerous for my waistline!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2nd batch did taste good! Hopefully you have better luck! Let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  2. maybe chocolate almond bark on top instead of melted chocolate....? Like the stuff you would use to coat the treats... maybe refrigerate them first while you melt the chocolate then add it on to cool treats so it hardens faster. Not sure if it would work, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond bark might work out better, and maybe freezing them? or refrigerating... Will definitely have to try those suggestions out!

      Delete
  3. what about using chocolate rice krispies instead of plain rice krispies and you shouldn't have to use chocolate unless you want it really chocolatey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of that! I'll have to try that next time :) Thanks

      Delete
  4. As long as something tastes good, it's good enough for me. I'm sure it was fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot make rice krispie squares for the life of me - well, I can but they're paper thin on one side and 3" thick on the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha I can't cook mac n' cheese without burning it! Guess everyone has a talent!

      Delete
  6. I have never attempted these...did they still taste good?

    Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop...I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did taste good, just didn't look how I wanted! Thanks for stopping by! :) I can't wait to check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. I would have never thought of putting peanut butter in a rice crispie treat! And with chocolate...sounds awesome! Sorry they didn't turn out the way you expected, but I'm glad they still tasted good.

    By the way, my husband and I finally went to VooDoo donuts last weekend for the very first time (I think I commented to you a while ago that we'd never been there and we've lived here 10 years!). Anyway, I had a Portland Cream and my husband had the Bacon Maple Bar. They were good, but I wasn't totally blown away like I expected to be. But later I looked at the website and read descriptions of some of their donuts that I didn't see in their display cases. If I'm up for it next time, I think I'm going to try the Memphis Mafia. Although it looks like a heart attack waiting to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you went there! I thought they were good, just not blown away either. But they seem to have fun flavors and I heard they do weddings in the store! It will be a while before I get to go back though. You'll have to let me know how it tastes if you go again!

      Delete
  8. The only thing I can think of is that the chocolate bars have something in them to make them a lot more runny.? I would try Wilton Chocolate melts and make sure it is maybe more spreadable instead of runny. They sound delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wilton chocolates would definitely work better! I'll try that next time :)

      Delete
  9. next time try melting the peanut butter into the marshmallows.. I am going to have to give this a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more trouble with the chocolate part, I think I was just hoping for more of a chocolate layer :) Let me know how yours turn out!

      Delete
  10. 1 bag ch. Chips, melt over low heat. When melted turn off stove add 1 cup pb, 1 cup rice krispies, 1 cup mini marshmallows. Put in 8x8 dish and refrigerate. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. eta...above post, after ch chips are melted add 1 cup pb, when melted turn off stove, add krispies and mini marshmallows and put in dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Thank You! I will definitely try it that way :)

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna