Thursday, June 28, 2012

Berry Buttermilk Cake - Pinterest I Did It # 2

Did you read that right? Oh yes I did it again. Made another recipe I have pinned (actually I made 3 more but you have to wait to see the rest!)

This week I made a Berry Buttermilk Cake. I took it over to the kind neighbors (you can read about them here)


The original recipe is from Smitten Kitchen. I changed a few things around and made loaf cakes instead. Mostly because I wanted to taste the cake before I gave it to someone! 


Here is the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of flour, plus 2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used a cup cause that's all that was left)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups berries (I used 4 cups, 2 of raspberry and 2 blackberry. Mine were also frozen)


Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease bundt pan, (I used 3 loaf pans, really could have been 2 since it didn't rise as much as I thought it was going to)


In a bowl mix together 2 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Next cream together butter and sugar until super light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. At a low speed, add eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
Add 1/3 of flour mixture to batter, mixing until combined. Add half the buttermilk. Continue until all flour and buttermilk is combined. Scrape down bowl.

Toss berries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour, and gently fold into batter. The berries do get squished a little, but that's ok.

Add cake to pan (or pans). Its very thick, and it was easier to spoon it in. Smooth out top.



Bake for 50-60 minutes. (I thought it would take less time in the loaf pans, but it didn't) Once a toothpick comes out clean it is done.

Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan.






The original recipe from Smitten Kitchen also has a lemon glaze, but I found the cake to be delicious without it so I didn't make the glaze. Also I didn't have any lemons or lemon juice.








This cake was DELICIOUS! I can't believe how good it is. Good thing I gave most of it away or else I'd be in trouble! Its hard enough losing the last of the baby weight without yummy cakes around!

This is linked up with:
PhotobucketWhat's cooking, love?

Michelle’s Tasty Creationsmade in a day

PhotobucketCrazy Sweet TuesdayLove Bakes Good CakesThe DIY Dreamerloving this crazy life




16 comments:

  1. this is great. I found it via the It's Keeper link up. I have linked in a beef dish. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to make it! Can't wait to check your dish out :)

      Delete
  2. GAH! You did it again! I'm drooling! :) I wish I could reach into the screen and pull out that plate with that pretty cake. When we get back from our trip, I bet it will be time for raspberries, so I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send you this cake so someone could help me eat it! Gah I am killing my own diet!!! But seriously try this recipe it is so stinking good!

      Delete
  3. UMMMMM i think I may have to make this for the 4th....ohhhh my goodness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Add just a little whip cream and yum!

      Delete
  4. A perfect use for all those summer berries! This would be great with a cup of hot tea or coffee! Thank you for sharing at "All my Bloggy Friends". I hope you have a safe and happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a perfect coffee cake! And so yummy with all the summer berries :)

      Delete
  5. Yummy! Stopping by from All my Bloggy Friends #2 showing bloggy love and following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good! Thanks so much for linking up at Mealtime Monday! Can’t wait to see what you like up tomorrow night!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. AudreyN,
    This looks super delicious! I love buttermilk in baked goods. I so need to start trying all the yummy recipes I've pinned too. You are an inspiration. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up next. Have a great week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle - Thanks for hosting Creative Thursday! Gives me a goal of cooking / baking at least one thing a week to show off :)

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna