Thursday, June 14, 2012

Its My Choice

I know there is a great debate over breast feeding and formula feeding. And I'm not here to say which is right or wrong.

I just want to say its my choice

I choose not to breast feed. I didn't breast feed with my first son, and I am not breast feeding this one. Its not that I tried and it didn't work, its just I don't want to. I have no desire to breast feed.

I like formula feeding. It makes my life easier. It makes me feel like I have a little control over something. I like being able to see how much they eat. I like being able to leave them with dad or grandma and not worrying about rushing back to feed them. I like being able to have a drink and not worry about it. I like not having to pump.

My husband likes being able to feed them. To get to bond with them. And I like that he can get up in the middle of the night with them and I get a chance to sleep.

I am crazy and have a notebook where I write down each time they eat, how much and if they pooped. I keep this log for the first year.(Yes you read that right, the whole 1st year! Every single thing they eat.)
Its one more than I don't have to try to remember. I can just pull out the book and see when they ate last. Or show the Dr when they as how much / often.
Jensen's food log, only 2 days per page

Jakah's food log, 6 days per page

Looking back at my first son's log, I see that he ate much more, and less often. This time around, I seem to have a snacker. He eats often, and a little. I think if I was breast feeding I would go insane. How would I get ANYTHING done with a toddler around and being tied down every hour?

But sometimes I get these looks from people. Like I am doing something wrong. Like I am a bad mom for not breast feeding.

My husband's brother told my mother-in-law that my kids wouldn't be as smart as his because I didn't breast feed. At which point she looked at him and said "well I guess your brother is smarter than you because you were formula fed and he was breast fed." That shut him up real quick.

But why would someone's brother say that? (although that's another subject and maybe one of the thousand of reason's he doesn't talk to his brother)

How many people think that way? Why do people make me feel bad about formula feeding?

My son is equally as smart. He is rarely sick. And a perfectly normal toddler, in the 80 -90 percentiles.

There really is no right or wrong way to feed your child. And I won't judge how you do it. But please don't judge me for my decision. As long as all children are fed, happy, and healthy then it shouldn't matter how you feed your child.

Because in the end, its your own choice. (and mine)


PS Did you know I finally made a facebook page!? Go click on it and like it :)

18 comments:

  1. Good for you! I chose to breastfeed A & it worked for me, but I can definitely understand all your points! It is hard, knowing how much, and leaving them! Sounds like stupid comments run in your husband's family too, I've got plenty of those on my side & hubs, people & their opinions. I figure as long as you're feeding your child it doesn't matter breast or formula!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Whatever works for you is the way to go! And my husband has talked to his brother twice in 5 years. Thankfully I didn't hear that comment or else I would have come un-glued!

      Delete
  2. It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. This is just one more platform for people to feel falsely superior. It's so stupid that it's like that.
    I tried really hard with Ada but it didn't work out. Yes, I do fall into that 3% who don't make enough milk thanks to a little pituitary tumor. Once I embraced that it just wasn't going to happen it was such a relief! I preferred formula feeding for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, just one more thing in the stupid "mom wars."

      Delete
  3. We all know the benefits of breastfeeding but what no one tells you is that mommy NEEDS to be happy too. If you're forced to breastfeed (or guilted into it) then it becomes a time of resentment and frustration and how is that good for the baby??
    Every parent out there needs to decide what is best for them and their family and no one has the right to judge that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Its whatever works best for you and your family. Moms definitely needs to be happy also!

      Delete
  4. Amen sista! When I had Sterling I attempted breastfeeding and ultimately did NOT like it. At all. I was then guilt ridden by some family members that it would help him get sick less, make him smarter, blah blah blah. I eventually was thankful that I could no longer produce enough to feed him (due to stress maybe?!)

    Anyways, after telling a lot of people off, Sterling has been formula feed for about 6.5 of his 7 months of life so far and he is doing great! He got RSV early on but so did all the breastfed infants at daycare, so take that breastfeeding moms who shove the "my baby is more healthier than yours" speech down our throats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know breastfeed babies who are sick way more often than my formula fed son! I really think it depends on the kids and what is going around

      Delete
  5. I sooo remember bringing Kenna home and Nathaniel was barley 2 years old and I was bound and determined to breastfeed for a whole hour...then Nathaniel started pitching a fit and demanding my attention and Kenna started crying because she was hungry and I really had no help except for when I broke down in tears myself and asked my ex to make a bottle he threw the can of formula at me and told me I hope I was happy I was ruining our daughter.(umm even though Nathaniel was formula fed.) yeah that pretty much sealed the deal for me.All 4 were formula fed because they were so close together and it was my choice..

    I'm going to attempt to breast feed Adrienne i really do hope it works out but I'm realistic as well. At least this time the age gap is big enough that i won't have to worry too much about the others gettingjealous.

    Still it comes down to your own personal choice and NO ONE should judge you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a good thing he is an ex! I hope you are able to breast feed Adrienne! I sure hope the others don't get jealous ;) Ha ha! Oh and I knew you couldn't stay away for a whole week!!!

      Delete
  6. Love this post. It is your choice. There is no right or wrong. Just love and care that are ultimately what babies thrive on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I wish everyone could see how true it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always though who only think their way is the right way.

      Delete
  8. It definitely is an individual choice. That really and truly doesn't affect anyone but our own families, so I really wish that others would keep their mouths shut about whatever we choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! But that only happens in a perfect world :) To each their own right!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you're confident in your choice! And you're right...it is YOUR choice.

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna