Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Kindness of Neighbors

Neither of us knew our neighbors growing up. Casey grew up on a farm with his grandparents as his closest neighbors. I grew up next to a retirement home. 


We have lived in our house for a little over 8 years. I can tell you the names of two of our neighbors.

We are nice and wave hi to all the neighbors. Hopefully someone would call if our house was on fire or getting broken into. But we really don't "know" our neighbors. Its hard to hang out or meet them if they have older kids. Much older kids. 


And really we aren't sure we want to be close to our neighbors. (What if you end up in a fight or don't get along, you still have to live by them!) 

The family behind us went to school with Casey. They are awesome and we chat with them a lot. (You can check out her blog The Peck Life. Its cute and I love it!) They have a son around the same age as Jakah.


The family on the right of us is a pastor. They have 11 kids! We were worried when we heard they were moving in with that many kids. They are so kind and nice to us. We chat with them if we are all outside. They have kids around the same age (and a lot that are older.) They invite us to church but don't pressure us. They are awesome. 


And they brought us dinner!

Since having Jensen, we have had dinner brought over to us three times. Once was by Casey's mom, his sister brought us lunch, and the other time was my BFF Sally.

Not that I expect people to bring us dinner.

But, some "friends", (I wrote about them Here) have called and wanted to see the baby. Since we don't really see them anymore, and they don't really talk to us, its kinda mad me made that she suddenly wants to see the baby. Makes me wonder if she would even talk to me at all if I didn't have a new baby.


So when the neighbors who we barely know and don't really socialize with brought over a baby gift, and dinner consisting of pizza, cookies, watermelon and gold fish crackers (for Jakah)

I was blown away by their kindness.

Just when I was feeling down, kinda alone, exhausted and having a rough week with the toddler, the people I least expected, My neighbors, were kind to us.






8 comments:

  1. That is so nice of them!!! I struggle when people have new babies on if I should stop by or invite them over or just to leave them alone so they can rest and adjust. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with it to also, but after this week and being surprised with dinner I think I will try to be better about at least doing something totally nice and un-expected!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have some nice neighbors! A little kindness can go a long way. Funny how sometimes it seems to come more easily from strangers than those who we call "friends."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how sometimes the nicest things come where you least expect it

      Delete
  3. That's so great they did that! Meals with a new baby are so helpful. They sound like excellent neighbors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great :) And the meal was helpful and appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Good neighbors can be life altering. I have had great one off and on over the last 5 or 6 years since having kids and it makes a huge difference. Hope you continue to get to know them and feel good about having them....even if they are the elderly variety you and your husband are used to. :)

    Visiting from Shell's PYHO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Who knows maybe we'll get to know a few more of them around here :)

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna