Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Listicles - 10 Things my parents did right

This weeks topic was chosen by Lisa. She wants to know 10 things your parents did right. Its kinda funny, cause at the time I'm sure I felt these things were bad, but in the end it turned out to be right.

If you know my sisters and I, you would know we are all three complete opposites. And while my parents tried to keep it fair and do the same for all of us, it didn't work out that way.

10 Things My Parents Did Right

1. Do what you want in life - I wanted to go to pastry school, and was accepted. They were supportive. I ended up not going because I couldn't afford it. Instead I stayed here and got an Accounting degree. Because I had to pay for school myself and its what I could afford. (its a good thing I didn't move to Colorado, I would have never met Casey)

2. Be Responsible and Independent with your actions - Sure this sucked when I was younger. I was always told "your sisters look up to you and your actions, so think about what you are doing" (although my sisters never followed my direction and usually were in more trouble than I ever got into) I was responsible for myself, and suffered or enjoyed the outcome of my choices / mistakes.

3. Work hard and appreciate what you have - My parents weren't the kind of people who just gave me stuff. I had to earn most of it. They bought me a truck. I never got to pick it out. They brought it home and told me I had to pay them back for it. I earned and paid back every cent myself. Of course they then turned around and bought the truck off of me (for 10% of the price I paid) and gave it to both my sisters. They trashed the truck, where I had taken care of it because I paid for it.

4. Treat others how you want to be treated - Needs no explanation

5.  Don't be a quitter - In 6th grade I had signed up for band. I hated it. But they wouldn't let me quit. They told me to finish out the year and then find something else I like. I was to stick with it, because you might like it later. (I never did like it) But I never did quit anything I signed up for. Sometimes it takes longer than a few weeks to find out you like it.

6. Do it yourself - My dad taught me how to change a tire, and tried to teach me about my engine. He wanted me to do things myself, and not rely on someone else to take care of it for me. He didn't want me to become dependent on someone else to do things for me.

7. Take vacations - I don't know how my parents did it, but they always took all three of us on 1 big vacation a year. We went to Hawaii one year. Disneyland another. We were older, but still they took us. It was a big deal.

8. Mind your manners - If we misbehaved we got in trouble. We were taught to behave in public. Not run around like crazy people.

9. Deal with it - When something bad happens, have a pity party if needed. But get over it and move on. Don't dwell on things you can't change. Pick your self up and get over it. Only you can change the things in your life

10. They had me

All these things made me, me. And I wouldn't change any of it!



14 comments:

  1. Wow! Love this list (except maybe for the part where your sisters trashed your truck). Love #5, #8, and #9. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha by then it wasn't my truck anymore, so I didn't care :)

      Delete
  2. I know. #10...what would the world be like otherwise?! ...and vacations...I have no idea on this one either, we all got crammed into the station wagon at least once a year and did something crazy/fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely did it when we were older! I don't remember big vacations when we were younger, just camping really

      Delete
  3. I can see how all the things they did formed you into who you are. And I'm glad you're you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like #6. My dad taught me how to fix the car and unplug the toilet - I never thought it was so I would learn that I didn't need to be dependent on anyone else. You're very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say that was from my, but really it was my dad. He didn't want me to be dependent on some guy to take care of everything for me. Or be stranded on the side of the road and not know how to change my own tire

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. They are! Although while growing up I didn't like them :)

      Delete
  6. Hey lady!! I just found your cute blog via the hop, and I'm your newest follower! I'd also love to have you check out a fabulous Triple Giveaway I'm having right now!!

    Hope to see you there! And thanks so much!
    xo

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/08/triple-winner-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I can't wait to check out your giveaway!

      Delete
  7. Your dad and my grandpa sound so much alike. I can fix stuff too! Also #4 I tell my son every single day.
    I hope you do end up being a pastry chef. YOu have an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you, now I just bake for friends and family :) #4 is a big one. I am always amazed at how many people don't follow it though

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna