Thursday, November 8, 2012

Homemade Traditional White Bread

Two days ago, while putting some new fancy vanilla I bought myself away, I noticed I had a ton of yeast. So I pulled it out, and saw the expiration date. 12 packets of yeast that expired October 2012. Well of course that was like 7 days ago. So I was on a mission to use of 12 packets of yeast. Did anyone notice my pictures on Instagram? (If not you should follow me! I follow back!)


Tuesday I made 8 loaves of white bread. And yesterday I made 4 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread. Of course I don't have a freezer to put it all in, so I gave some away and stored the rest in my parents freezer. I think they will eat it all before I go pick it up! Oh well at least it's getting eaten!

My white bread turned out amazing! So I am sharing the recipe. It's actually Betty Crocker's recipe, from my 1969 cookbook. It's my go to cookbook! Seriously if you can find this one buy it!
Betty Crocker's Cookbook/40th Anniversary Edition

There might be better ones out there, so if you know of any let me know!

Anyways onto the bread! As always changes or things I did different are in blue

Traditional White Bread
from Betty Crocker - 1969
Makes 2 loaves

Ingredients:
6-7 cups all purpose flour (I used 5 1/2 total)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
2 packages of regular or quick rising yeast
2 1/4 cups very warm water (120 - 130 degree) I used a meat thermometer to check the temperature

Instructions:
Mix 3 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, shortening, and yeast in a large bowl. (I just put all the ingredients in a bowl)
Add warm water. (I let it sit for a few minutes to activate the yeast)
Beat on low speed for 1 minute (I used my dough hook attachment on the kitchenaid)
Stir in enough remaining flour, 1 cup at a time until dough is easy to handle ( I found if you leave it slightly sticky its fine. It will pick up more flour when you knead it)
Turn dough onto a floured surface.
Knead about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. (Some people use the dough hook to knead the bread. But I have had horrible luck doing this, so I knead it buy hand)
Place in a greased bowl and turned greased side up ( I spray extra Pam onto of the dough)
Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 - 60 minutes or until doubled.
(I tried a trick I saw on Pinterest of letting it rise on a heating pad. It worked great!)

Grease 2 loaf pans. Punch dough down and divided in half.
Flatten dough for each loaf with a rolling pin, into a rectangle.
Fold crosswise into thirds, overlapping the two sides
Roll into a square. (Or my case another rectangle)
Roll dough tightly, beginning at one unfolded end, to form a loaf.
Pinch seam firmly to seal.
Place seam side down into pan.
Brush loaves lightly with butter (I just put butter on top when it was done cooking)
Cover and let rise in a warm place for 35-50 minutes or until doubled.

Heat oven to 425. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hallow when tapped.
This is where I brushed the loaves with butter
Let cool...

Just long enough to not burn y our mouth when eating delicious warm homemade bread!




Yum!!! Seriously!!!

This is linked up with:

Made in a DayWhite Lights on WednesdaysPhotobucketThe DIY DreamerLove Bakes  Good CakesWhat's cooking, love?saving4sixThe Frugal Girls

12 comments:

  1. I will try again now that you've inspired me. For real though, I've never, ever had a loaf of bread that rose like it should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I suck at bred, but this time I think its because I used little less flour and kneaded it buy hand instead of in the mixer.

      Delete
  2. I've tried making bread, without much success. Biscuits I can do, bread… no. I have a Betty Crocker book, but I think it's from the 1990's. Am I brave to try your recipe? If my bread doesn't rise I am coming to your house and eating all your bread! ;=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously try it! With a little less flour, i used 5 1/2 cups per batch. Oh and make sure the water is 120-130 degrees! And use the heating pad to help rise it! Or just come eat the 8 loaves I have LOL

      Delete
  3. I am spoiled by the breadmaker that I got for my birthday. There is nothing better than homemade bread, for sure. And definitely nothing better than not having to do it all yourself! I like the idea of rolling it up first. I have never heard of doing that and it makes it look pretty when it's sitting there! Found you at chic and crafty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a breadmaker would be awesome! But then I would eat even more bread :)

      Delete
  4. I love homemade bread - almost more than dessert! Yum :) Thanks for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends. I'm looking forward to seeing what you share this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade bread, warm from the oven is the best!

      Delete
  5. Audrey,
    I love homemade bread and yours looks gorgeous! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This week I tried cinnamon swirl bread!

      Delete
  6. This is the most gorgeous bread! I love looking at old cookbooks for inspiration. Thanks for linking this up last week, we'd love to have you back!
    http://www.joyfulhomemaking.com/2012/11/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-5.html

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna