Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sleep, Who Needs Sleep?

Funny Baby Ecard: I think the saying shouldn't be 'I slept like a baby.' Let's change it to 'I slept like a husband.'

Ah sleep. I miss sleep. I can't honestly tell you the last time I slept threw the night. It has been at least a year.

I was spoiled with my first son. He slept threw the night at 3 months. And has been a pretty good sleeper since. Until recently.

Insert second son here... He doesn't sleep. He doesn't really nap either. (although that might be partly because his big brother insists on waking him up) At 7 months Jensen still doesn't sleep threw the night. Everyone tells me to let him cry it out. We've tried... and now all that does is wake up Jakah.

So now instead of just one getting up, they both get up. At different times of course, usually right after I get back to bed. In a night I get up anywhere from 3-8 times. Of course each time I get up it takes at least 30 mins to fall back asleep, just in time to get up again.

Oy Vey....

So far ear plugs haven't worked for me, or Tylenol PM. I think my next move is to go downstairs. Of course my husband rarely hears them. He does get up once in a while, and then goes right back to sleep. Lucky guy!

Does anyone have any tricks on getting a baby to sleep threw the night?

This is all new to me since Jakah slept threw the night on his own. Jensen really isn't into his pacifier so that doesn't work. I stuff him full of food before bed, that doesn't seem to matter. When he wakes up he stays awake until you feed him again. I've tried white noise, a humidifier, baby Vick's (for when he has a cold), Tylenol (thinking maybe he is teething and I can't tell). He goes to bed around 7:30 on his own. Any later and he gets up more at night.

I think he might be over-tired from not getting enough naps during the day, but again he's not much of a napper. I can get one good 2 hour nap outta him. Anything else is about 30 minutes. It's not like he is falling asleep while playing either.

I feel like a new mom who has no idea what to do. And I am just plain exhausted.



8 comments:

  1. You might need to put him to bed even earlier. When we were going through a phase not too long again, the key was to gradually get to an earlier bed time, now my ten month old goes to bed at 6 pm...started at 730...then he started waking every three hours...and then started napping less and less due to being over tired. Does he self soothe at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought to do earlier... He's a screamer, pacifiers don't really work and really just screams until you pick him up, sometimes hours later....

      Delete
  2. My first question is how does he fall asleep? If he falls asleep eating, you have to break that cycle. If you are going to do the cry it out way, which I always did, I learned to not just do it at night, but at nap time during the day. It doesn't wake the siblings, and it doesn't keep you awake. Stuffing him full of food before bedtime might backfire. Stomach aches and reflux may make him uncomfortable. I also had one child that wouldn't sleep well and found out he had almost constant ear infections. There were no signs of it during the day, but they kept him up at night. Tubes solved that problem.
    I hope you find something to help soon. This phase won't last forever, but it certainly seems like it when you are falling over from exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't fall asleep while eating. He goes to bed awake. He just wakes up screaming, and continues for hours. Usually i just end up feeding him and he goes back to sleep but I think that isn't helping the problem.

      Delete
  3. I've never let my babies cry through the night. Totally broke my heart! Do you use a binki? I never did with my boys, but for others it was a lifesaver. Try out ideas others give you and use what works for you and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not to into the binki, he has one but could care less really. A friend did tell me to try putting a radio in Jakah's room and maybe he won't hear the baby as much. But that doesn't solve the baby sleeping thru the night LOL

      Delete
  4. Maybe let someone else try to break him of it. Grandparents are usually a good choice. My Dad was so much calmer than I was, he could let the kids scream and fuss and it didn't bother him at all. If it weren't for him Taryn & John might still wake up at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! Now to find some sucker... I mean wonderful willing grandparent :)

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna