Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Learning Patience Never Ends #iPPP

Two weeks ago, Jakah dropped my Nintendo 3DS into the toilet while he was using it. This was the second time it has been dropped into water. The first time he thought he could use it in the bath tub like dad does. (I'd also like to note that both these incidents where on "dad's watch"). Needless to say, it's officially dead this time.

We decided that he needs to earn money to buy a new one. For many reasons, but most importantly because he needs to learn that we aren't just going to buy him new stuff if he breaks it.

So he has been doing chores. Not hard ones, emptying and re-filling the dishwasher, mopping the floors, cleaning the windows, helping with laundry and cleaning the bathrooms. We only do about 2 chores a day, because he is only 4. His attention span doesn't last very long.


And my patience can't handle much more.

Teaching him chores has been more work for me than for him. Part of my type A personality has had to let go of control. I have to remind myself that he is only 4, and is learning how to do these things. It's frustrating to let it go. To know that the floor isn't as clean as it should be, that the dishes will still get clean even if they aren't in the exact place they should be.

But I know someday he will get it, and will hopefully make his wife happy by helping out!

He wanted to count his money to see if he was close to buying another 3DS.


Of course he is a LONG way off from the $200, as of now he has earned $5.50. Mostly because I pay him in pennies and nickels. I can still get away with paying him cheaply and he thinks coins are worth more than dollars. (seriously he traded me 4 nickels for a dollar bill because it's more money). He usually earns anywhere from 20 - 50 cents a day depending on how many chores we do or how hard they are. I paid him more to clean the windows.

So we have decided he needs to earn 200 coins. So far he is up to 75 coins. We made him a little chart so he can see how far away he is.

He seems pretty enthusiastic about doing chores and earning money, is learning that it takes work to get the things you want, and I am learning a huge lesson in patience and letting go of the small things.

This is linked up with Greta  at GFunkified for her weekly #iPPP
GFunkified

12 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are doing $200 coins instead of $200 actual dollars in coins. Since (really) it's all your money anyway, he is learning the "value" of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Plus I pay so cheaply (seriously pennies!) it will take forever to get to $200

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great lesson, and great for both of you! I find that I have to keep myself busy doing some other chore when mine are doing chores....it helps a little with giving up the control. :) I bet he takes more care of his things when he has to work for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully! Although I already caught him with my kindle in the bathroom. Eeeek! And I will have to try doing something else while he works, I have been having him do chores during nap time so that his brother doesn't bother him

      Delete
  3. Wow. That is great that you're teaching him responsibility in this way. That 3DS is turning out to be more than it's worth in gold! And I think it's so cute how at this age they think coins are worth more than bills. My 4 years old girl thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally cracks me up what they think about money! He thinks the lottery scratcher coins are special money because they are green, blue and orange

      Delete
  4. Bravo mom! That is exactly what I do with my children.
    All our electronics (unless someone else, *cough, cough grandma* bought them) have been EARNED. All 3 agreed to save their Christmas and Birthday money to buy the Wii, and my 9 year old son was told he had to pay half the cost of the iPod5 he asked for Christmas. They also know if they break it -- same thing. We consider these items to be luxuries and a privilege to have - not Must Haves.
    Your little helper will learn a good lesson -- and truly know the value of a dollar one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! They are luxuries not must haves! The only reason we had it in the first place is because it was mine. My husband bought it for me. Just like all our other things, Wii, PS3, 360... All pre-kids lol.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you and my boys had to do many, many chores to earn things they wanted. Sucks that your DS is in the toilet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never really played it anyways. He found it and played it more than I ever did

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of 200 coins! Kudos to you for teaching responsibility and chores and value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! It tries my patience, but it's for the best in the long run!

      Delete

Go Ahead Leave a Comment, You Know You Wanna